Sunday, June 27, 2010

hot water again!

today i took a hot shower for the first time in almost three weeks. marvelous!

much of the water here is centralized, so when they do repairs (usually at the beginning of the summer) they turn off all the hot water in the city. for something like a week or two. this time it was two and a half weeks. but they turned it on again, which is marvelous! during the first week it was hot outside (high 90s, F) .. so cold showers were alright. after that it got a bit chillier and the showers got shorter, as well as a couple times heating water on the stove.

my organization has something called learning community, and at the moment we are discussing creation care. what it means to be good stewards. this can be played out and discussed in so many ways! we read an article and watched a video (20 minutes, definitely worth it!), and then got started talking. one thing that stood out to me, because of the lack of hot water here, was the difference between choosing to be a good steward of resources .. and being forced to do so. it is one thing to have had plenty and then to decide to live differently and seek simplicity in various ways. but if you have not had enough, for someone to tell you that you must life without seems very unjust. all that to say .. i've been thinking about what sort of expectations we should have of one another, especially when it comes to crossing cultures and economic lines.

6 comments:

SHiNE said...

Ooo, I'm looking fwd to watching that video. Definitely stuff that's top of my heart at the moment!

trassy dicosta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Website's web said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy Rae said...

I found your blog via the Next Blog button and I am sitting here with nothing to say, other than hello. I will be back to read more of your stories. Romania has always seemed such a romantic place.... until I read about the cold showers!

I am very much looking forward to reading more about your culture!

iritka said...

Sorry for barging in...but I was just thinking about the issue of writing in books when I came upon this post. I can't write in books myself, unless in pencil, but recently I found out that I love to see what other people wrote, especially when these are people whom I like. When I lend my books to my friends I say 'if you want to comment on something, please don't hesitate, leave your comment in pencil". It makes a second reading of a book more interesting, because I have my friends' inputs as well.

iritka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.